Sunday, September 26, 2010

Paseo de Los Monos.

I find it irritating that if I manage to get my hands on a computer that has functional Skype, then it won´t read my camera. If it has Skype and the camera works, then there´s something wrong with Flickr. Christ. Anyway, I´ve spent the better part of the last hour clicking on ¨acciones¨ in Flickr in the attempt to update my photos. It didn´t work. NOT MY FAULT!


Anyway, fuck that. I´ll just tell you what I´ve been doing for the last week.

In an attempt to re-live my days at Yassi, I went in search of some volunteer work in the Ecuadorian jungle, and came upon a little town called Puyo with a monkey rescue center in need of help. Kind of. I think they mostly take on volunteers to make sure that there are other moving objects around for the monkeys to bite and poo on. I´m not sure what to say about this except that this is one of the best things I´ve ever done traveling. I´m not sure if it knocks Yassi out of the water... but it really makes me reevaluate my time there. No cages, hardly--- more contact, more kisses, and unfortunately, more poop. I´ve been crapped on so many times in the past week that when I awoke this morning in my hostel in Baños, I was alarmed that I wasn´t immediately welcomed into my waking state by the stench of shit.


I spent about a week constructing a giant cage, preparing food, and fending off a crazed capuchin that made ripping out my ACL his number one priority in life. He managed to get a pretty good chunk out of my right leg before I punched him with a piece of corn right on the eye. Beating things up with corn is not a good idea. First they will bite you. Then they will eat the corn. It´s very lose-lose.


Ecuador has been pretty good so far. It´s not the kind of place that makes me go ¨oh my god, I wish I was dead because my brain can´t handle all this awesomeness¨.... but it´s a good medium between Peru and Colombia. There are also decent movies playing on the buses here. The Spanish version of Jaden Smith´s ¨Karate Kid¨? An excellent way to pass the 2 hour ride from Baños to Puyo. All three times that I did it. I also got to do some kick-ass Level 3 rafting yesterday for about 10 bucks. Not bad.

One thing that DOES suck is the complete lack of competency of the bus companies here. Christ, even Peru was better. So... I was planning to leave Baños on Sunday night... never mind how hung over I was from Saturday... to make sure I could get to Montañita with time to spare before my birthday. I bought a ticket for 30 minutes past ten at night. I arrive at thirty past ten and proceed to wait for something like an hour and a half for a bus that apparently took off on time. FOR THE FIRST TIME IN SOUTH AMERICAN HISTORY. The bus company refused to transfer my ticket to the next day, so I bought yet another ticket, deciding to swallow my irritation, because... after all, I should have been early. The following day, Nadine and I head down to the station half an hour early so as not to miss the bus (again). Upon our arrival at a bit before ten, we get accosted by a man who starts shouting at us to ¨Sube! Sube! Sube!¨our bus so it could take off half an hour early. I wasn´t even fully in before the driver started plowing down the road at a vomit-inducing speed. Nevertheless, Nadine and I tucked ourselves into our seats, snuggled up with some pashminas and jackets, and fell asleep.

Roughly an hour later, we´re told to ¨Baja! Baja!¨... since our bus is apparently dumping us on another bus headed the same direction, as OUR bus company couldn´t be buggered to actually TAKE us where they were supposed to. Happily, this bus is marvelously empty, and Nadine takes three seats while I take two, and for almost 3 hours, she dozes peacefully, burritoed in her sleeping bag while I shiver and mutter as much profanity as can escape my frost-covered lips. When I finally manage to get to sleep (emptying my purse and using it as a potato-sack-like device to cover my legs), we´re awoken AGAIN and told to get the fuck down, as THIS bus is apparently experiencing technical difficulties. Our final bus is the closest thing I can compare to an outhouse on wheels. I´m too tired by this point to protest, and I manage to fall asleep in the lap of the teenage girl seated next to me.

An hour after that, we´re then told to get down so we can submit ourselves to the police check. Getting frisked by jackasses with batons was the least-crappy part of this trip.

Then we arrived in Guayaquil.

Fuck, this post is taking me entirely too long. Let me just sum up my birthday so that this doesn´t end up being a freakin´novella. My birthday was excellent. I partied. Very... very hard. Unfortunately, this alleged partying didn´t involve Quito Fest, and didn´t involve other English-speakers. While Argentinians are impossible to understand by day... by night, nobody gives a fuck and it all comes down to how many shots you can take. A silly civil uprising delayed my plans to spend my big day on a bus (with visions of whales swimming in my head), and I didn´t get to Quito until Saturday morning... just in time to find out that Quito Fest was cancelled. I wont´go into too much detail... but I decided to just get obliterated and it ended up being a pretty decent alternative. I suppose that´s all.

Fuck I need to update this blog more frequently because now it doesn´t make any sense at all. Oh, but I should boast that the ¨Cambodia¨and ¨Myanmar¨tabs up top have been updated.... erm... half a year late. Oops!

Oh, by the way--- I know there´s like, no photos on this post, but I haven´t uploaded them yet. I´ll get around to it!

2 comments:

  1. haha Sam, you should think of a future career as "freakin' novella" writer!! It's so awesome to read! Por cierto, qué tal tu español después de las clases? Sigue disfrutándote! Un abrazo, Kurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post says you wrote it on September 26 - several days before your birthday or the cancelled Quito Fest (which I totally called, by the way. Civil uprisings have a way of scaring away fun.). Anyway, how can I monitor your every movement if the dates stamps aren't even right? Ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete