Friday, December 18, 2009

One thing that stinks about travelling in a place like India is that everyone speaks English, but almost nobody speaks it well. Therefore, they don't really humor my Hindi, and I have to repeat myself at least 4 or 5 times before anyone can fully understand me in English. The funny thing is, I don't have to repeat it slower. I just have to repeat it rapid fire a few times. This strange custom made the purchase of my Bangalore-Mangalore train quite an entertaining endeavor.


Anyway, lots to update. From my train, I got into Goa state fine, but managed to oversleep and pass my stop for Anjuna. I ended up in South Goa instead, so I just made my way to Benaulim, a beach recommended in Rough Guide, and for good reason. Just look.

I spent a couple days there hanging out and listening attentively while a bunch of local boys tried to educate me on the finer points of cricket.... but all I walked away with was the knowledge that it was a sport that did not involve mallets, and that I would probably never watch with any genuine interest... oh, and also this photo. The horizon isn't straight, but I thought it looked cool. Also, the cricketers couldn't wait to show off for the camera.

From there, I made my way to Anjuna in the north- known to be one of Goa's top party spots. For everyone who knows me at home, I think it would surprise you to know that until I reached then, I hadn't partied almost at all (and in fact, hadn't had an alcoholic drink) since my birthday in Tel Aviv. It was nearly 2 months without any booze, and it felt almost nice--- my body felt great and my pocketbook felt even better... the only part of me that felt horrible was my soul, which was slowly dying day by day. Goa fixed that.

On the way, I met a cute Aussie couple whose photo I'll post here. Poppy and Tom had been traveling for near 21 months when I met them. What makes this particular pair remarkable is that after all that time on the road, they didn't seem at all blasé to places or people. Each place was still interesting and unique, and each person was still worth getting to know, even if it was clear the relationship would only last a day or two. They were even nice to touts. I don't mean nice in the, "No, thank you" kind of way, which frequently becomes automatic... but nice in the, "It's lovely... but I don't think I'm interested... thanks for showing me though!" way. How odd! Anyway, in the Aussie tradition, they drank and partied super hard, and we had a ball until near the end of the first week of Dec, when they left for Mumbai, and I ventured south to Gokarna, Karnataka.

I'm not going to write a lot about Gokarna except to say that it was paradise. That's basically it.

From Gokarna, I was off for Hampi, where I spent 4 days or so doing yoga, relaxing, and taking photos like this one. My sweet German anarchist friend is quite the photographer. Look at how long my legs look! I hung out for a few days with an entertaining mix of Dutch, German, and Finnish folk before I started to get ants in my pants. I left for Mysore shortly thereafter.

I'm going to wait to write about Mysore, since I'm not sure if my recent intestinal drama can be blamed on my street fish there, or whether it's something else. All I'm going to say is that I'm glad I didn't know anyone in the city for a few days. I was in pretty sorry condition.

Anyway, I came back to Hampi shortly thereafter and think I will be here for a day or two more before going BACK to Anjuna for some holiday merry-making. Let me leave off this post (and perhaps the year of 2009) with this photo.


Merry Christmas everyone~!

1 comment:

  1. Happy hannukah and new year, Sam! Enjoying your blogs as always. Miss you!

    Dan + Jenny

    ReplyDelete