Saturday, December 5, 2009

I don't think anyone else will have any interest in reading this, but I wanted to record it for my own sake...

I was laying in bed this morning trying to go back to sleep, (which was impossible because it's so damn hot, but if I use the fan, it oscillates WAAAAAY too quickly, and I'm afraid that it's just going to fly right off and chop me to pieces...) and I was thinking that I'm too hung over to do anything properly today, but that I'd be bored if I just laid around. Then, I remembered this guy named Tim I met in Maderas, Nicaragua, who said something I found funny at the time, but have remembered ever since with increasing fondness. He said something like "Some people aren't meant to do a lot with their lives. I think I'm one of those people. I'm never bored~ I'm always happy wherever I am." Then I remembered how he would hang out at Maderas doing nothing but sitting with his boombox, listening to music and whistling and having a ball just sitting there... like, all day... no joke.

Tim spent a combined total of a year at that 2 restaurant, one hostel "town" in southern Nicaragua, and was so content just fishing and surfing and listening to his boombox every day~ and even though I didn't know him all that well~ I think the image of him on that bench listening to Jo Manji's "Beyond the Sunset" and whistling will stay with me forever.

I'm here at 8 months, and I'm reflecting on all the people I've met and realizing that the world is fucking awesome. People are funny and interesting and moving and unpredictable, and no matter who you're with- you can always have fun if you've got the right attitude. I spent the whole morning just dicking around and comparing white hairs with the Nepali guys at my hotel and having a ball doing it (even though the hairs are coming in with increasing frequency), and even though I get homesick sometimes~ I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to record. When you have those moments where you look at your life and think about how god damn lucky you are to have the things that you do, it's important to remember it.

3 comments:

  1. Damn, there's no "like" function. Well, I like this post. I needed a reminder that I'm totally spoiled and often bummed for stupid reasons. Thanks, sis. You're very insightful. Take those white hairs as evidence of growing wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *thumbs up* I know EXACTLY what you mean. The next step is translating that appreciation of the present into seemingly crappy times too. Sometimes something as simple as a pretty cloud can make you realize that the bad shit isn't really all that overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart sam chu... You have just described the last several years of my life. i used to have a sense of purpose that consumed my life and drove me to do things against my nature. I have been competely content to live without direction, and to truly see what is around me, i have met some amazing people and done some amazing things and i owe it to the lack of control that i learned to accept. it took a brush with death to learn how to truly live. living happily doesnt take much, just the realization that you are one of 6 billion on the planet and some day it will all end so have a good time. everyday can be a good day if you choose to only remember the good times and forget and forgive the bad.

    i can go on forever, and i can get super sentimental and cheesy but to sum it all up...I miss sam chu :)

    ReplyDelete