Thursday, August 6, 2009

Amoebas, Soccer, and Impenetrable Heat

That´s right, I wrote ¨soccer¨.... I´m an American, dammit!

So... first off, I´m going to write that I am excluding one very juicy detail of my last few weeks. I will be of no interest to some of you, of much interest to a few of you, and of great interest to find out to all of you, since I won´t write it here. If you want more, you will need to write me personally so I can evaluate your worthiness for such a story.

And on...

I got amoebas. I´m sure that the majority of you will wish that this had been the part that I had chosen to omit, since this particular week of my travels involved little else than pills and poop, but I thought it prudent to record my illnesses as my trip wears on. It lasted something like a week and a half, and involved something like 8 different kinds of medication. Seriously. No joke. Look at the picture under the El Salvador tab. I managed to escape, however, and I am fully indebted to Uga for his particular role in my recovery. I´m not exaggerating when I say that there was a dark, stormy night, a frantic trip across town to call in a favor from an old friend, and much, much nervous anticipation (at least on my part- I didn´t think I could last another night).


Anyhow, I recovered just in time to receive Kat and Adam on the 25th of last month. There was much tomfoolery to be engaged in, and I will post only this photo of Adam locking himself into their own room to verify my point. The one really sucky thing about this part of the week was that I couldn´t drink. The particular pills I was on called for a complete abstinence from alcohol... so the firt time I saw my friends in nearly 4 months, I had to be Sober Sam. Lame Sam- some might say. Oh well.

I made my way back to El Tunco (don´t judge me) and met up with Stav for a day or so more, before heading southward with her friend Jeff. Since the borders between El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua were only tentatively open, we decided to take the less conventional way, and boat it through the Gulf of Fonseca. This is what we found.

Another astonishing thing was La Unión, a city commonly considered to be El Salvador´s asshole. Hot, Sticky, and, well.. shitty. It was absolutely beautiful. Not in the traditional sense, as in good to look at... because it wasn´t... but the people were wonderful. Here I am posing with some policepeople we met. Aside from the fact that nobody in the town seems to know anything about transportation to or fro.. we found them to be perhaps the nicest of those we met in E.S. ... which is hard to say because everyone we met in E.S. was pretty much awesome. We also joined some locals in watching an intermural soccer game in a school yard basketball court. I didn´t get any photos, but it was quite the experience.





The last thing I want to include is this picture of a cute girl in Potosí Nicaragua. The loveliest lady in red in town! Here she is, befuddled, but standing with her proud father. They both waved merrily as we jostled out of town in an overcrowded bus filled to bursting with puppies, baseball teams, and actual chickens.

Oh, and here´s another picture of me in Las Peñitas, Nicaragua. I thought it artistic although my friend Austin has told me I walk like a lesbian... and it seems to be particularly apparent in this photo. Whatever.

1 comment:

  1. A ha ha ha! I never saw the picture with the key in the door...what a bunch of crazy kids.

    ReplyDelete