Sunday, April 19, 2009

Food Poisoning. Episode 1

Don't worry... I don't plan on going into detail. Not because I have any heart and would want to spare you the horror... but because I was out of consciousness most of the time and can't remember most of it.

Wednesday at some point, I ate a sandwich with "cheese". Mistake #1. I followed this up with much too much of a questionable tea-like substance. Mistake #2. I then overobligated myself throughout the day with much too many things which were much to far away from any conceivable bathroom area. Mistake #3. Oh, the twisted cosmo of mistakes.

I'll keep it short and just state that I will never... ever go travelling without a hearty supply of trash bags again. I missed about 48 hours of waking life, not to mention all of my lessons and volunteer obligations at the center.

Anyway, happily, my friend Spencer from Berkeley came to meet me on Friday (when I was feeling a bit better) and has been kindly helping me get back on my feet these last couple days... at least up until HE got food poisoning last night. Oh, Guatemala.

On a slightly happier note, I took charge of my first Saturday off school and went to Zunil and Fuentes Georginas in my first combination of chicken buses (old American school buses painted to look gangsta, and filled to the point of bursting with both people and the chickens they carry along with them) and collectivos (pick up trucks that pack as many people as they can into the bed) and had a marvelous time. In Zunil, they have this thing called "Maximo" (also called San Simon, and likened to Judas on many occasions)... a creepy stuffed doll that wears sunglasses and a sombrero and is supposed to be the god of debauchery. You'd think he'd be fun and interesting to look at, but really, he just scared my pants off. I refused to go inside.

We really only spent a little bit of time there before heading to Fuentes Georginas to swim in the hot springs. The hot springs are fed by sulfur vents in the volcano, and therefore smell like poo (in some spots). The guidebook doesn't tell you that. They're also suffocatingly hot, and after about 5 minutes or so of swimming around, you have to hop out and dance around on the pavement for a bit to cool off. I spent most of my time hanging out on a rock and drinking a beer. The American Way.

Overall, I'm doing well. I have to say I wasn't doing so well a few days ago when all I did was watch the ceiling spin and wish that someone, anyone knew I was dying alone in a grimy hostel room by myself.... but we all have our humbling moments.

1 comment:

  1. You just need to build your stomach's tolerance. Eat the cheese in smaller quantity everyday is what I would suggest. ;)

    ReplyDelete