Monday, April 6, 2009

After 16 hours of flying, crying, and prioritizing, here I am in Antigua, Guatemala... listening to Guatemalan showtunes reminiscent of the 60s in the USA.

The flight was pretty rough- 5 hours to Miami, 3 hours to Panama, and another 2 hours (excluding the hour that the plane hung out at the gate trying to reconcile the "problemas technicales") to Guatemala City. This is after having woken at 8am Saturday morning and not sleeping at all the night of the 4th/5th. My sympathies to the poor Cuban metrosexual that was stuck sitting next to me both at the SFO airport and during the SF-Miami flight. My bitter sobs did not dissipate quickly. They did, however, play "Bolt" during my first flight (hooray!), and although I cried through the movie (much to the astonishment of my fellow fliers)- it managed to keep my mind centered on something other than how much I missed everyone.

I suppose I've done myself out though- as I'm pretty content here. I spent the last couple of hours sitting in el Parque Central, writing out postcards and absently sweeping away the flowers that fell into my lap from the overhanging trees. Antigua is really beautiful, although overrun with tourists. I've already meet 3 other Americans (with whom I traveled from Guat City to here) and have overheard countless others. I haven't met the other people staying with me in the dorm at "El Hostal", but from the things they've left behind- they look to be English-speakers.

Anyway, nothing much to update on just yet. I'm considering a hike up to Pacaya, an active volcano on the outskirts of Antigua. According to the dude I met yesterday, you can walk right up to the lava and roast s'mores.... provided you don't mind the spewing sulfur and flecks of molten lava.

OK- I seen a ice cream man. I need to run. Love you all much- I haven't taken any photos yet, but when I do, I'll update them.

Hasta Luego!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I'm glad you got there safe and sound, and that you're having a good time.

    For some reason, I thought of you today and looked all over for the piece of paper with the URL of your blog. After several minutes of being unsuccessful, I decided to try to find it by memory and it only took 3 tries before I found throughthetollbooth.blogspot.com. ;) Granted I could've gotten to it the first time, but instead of through, I typed, though instead. Stupid typo. ;)

    Anyway, keep updating us and enjoy yourself!

    Dan and I miss ya!

    ReplyDelete